Sunday 6 April 2014

Trans-Atlantica - Emerald City Comic Con.

It turns out Washington was a kind of chilled out experience for me. As I mentioned last blog, we all came down sick, and nobody really felt up to much of anything, so we mostly just hung out and only left the house when we had too. Which usually involved going to Fred Meyer, a supermarket chain I'd never heard of until I got to Washington but now feel like I'm all too intimate with. Come to think of it, Fred Meyer himself must be a rampant egotist to brand the entire chain with his full name. It's not just Meyers, it's FRED Meyers. He may as well have just gone ahead and thrown the mister in front of it and called it a day. But either way, I digress. While it was mostly very relaxed, we did have one thing that was set in our calender. It's the reason I was convinced to linger on in the US for as long as I did. We were headed to Seattle!


For the Emerald City Comic Con! 

Now, I've been to a couple of Comic Cons in the United Kingdom before. Mainly smaller, more intimate affairs like the Birmingham International Comics Show. A fantastic event that usually took place in the Think Tank, although the last show I went too was in a hotel exhibition centre rather fittingly over Nostalgia and Comics. It always had a number of very chatty, very inspired small pressers and some surprisingly top end panels including a Walking Dead preview event (where I caught a t-shirt and will never let anyone forget it!) and a panel with Jonathan Ross about his then new comic Turf, as well as other projects that don't seem to have manifested. Although Jonathan Ross seems to be a taboo name in the more stuck up, po-faced parts of the nerd community right now so maybe he wouldn't be considered a big draw for some. But say what you like, he knows how to work a panel. 

Sadly BICS seems all but dead in the water these days, and an event of similar quality never rose up to replace it, but I've also been to a couple of larger shows like Collectormania and the first Super convention in London, so I thought I'd be relatively braced for what was to come. I was very, very wrong. You see, while the Super convention was impressive, it only really took up three quarters, if not half, of an exhibition room. Admittedly a rather large exhibition room, but for some perspective the Emerald City Comic Con took up three full floors of Seattle's convention centre. 

Needless to say, it was very overwhelming at first. 

The main floor was characterised by a teeming mass of people that just seemed to come from everywhere and take up every single bit of space there was to be taken. It took a lot of getting used too, and also meant you had to treat very carefully not to be swept away from your friends or be barged all over by some knuckle dragging dickmonger who felt like his own sense of self importance is enough to let him be carried across the Con floor on the backs of all these other peasants around him. You know what, it's not fair to characterise that person as a male, because the women were just as bad. There's no gender divide when it comes to manners, and sadly when you get a lot of people together in one place, bad manners and poor spacial awareness seem to shine on through. 

I'm not going to wheel out the 'Smelly nerds who can't bathe!' stereotype though,as  in my experience ninety percent of people at all the conventions I've been too have smelt just fine - Although, I will say there was one part of what seemed to be the main floor, a walkway that connected one lot of booths to another, that consistently smelt of fart. I'm not sure how something can smell of fart the first time you walk through it, and still smell of fart about two hours later the next time you walk through it, but it was a strange phenomena that I encountered that I can only explain by there being one extremely gassy stall vendor in the vicinity or everyone having a pact that if they needed to fart? That's the designated farting zone and everyone else can hold their breath and deal with it. 

Just as it was all getting on top of me and I was feeling very overwhelmed though, I found my calling! 



I may have a slight problem when it comes to t-shirts. I'm generally not good when it comes to clothes, and pretty much had to buy most of a whole new wardrobe to go to America with because... Well, most of my clothes are in a sad state. But t-shirts? I will buy those by the hanger load. So the t-shirt tower was to me what a flame is to a moth, and could have been just as dangerous. But as impressive as it was (as you can see, the t-shirts are piled up all around the stall right up to the roof of it) and as many great designs as there were, including a take on the Scarface poster which featured Two-Face, I only walked away with a rather fetching Adam Hughes Zatanna shirt. But you know what? I felt a whole lot better about the Con in general after that.

There were plenty more interesting stalls to prowl around, although not many of them selling things I wanted for prices I found entirely reasonable. The steampunk and Victoriana stall's seemed to be pricing their items in a fashion that certainly didn't represent their quality, although the stall that was selling wooden larping weapons was rather impressive. The variety and craftsmanship on display was staggering, especially the flaming hammer which I think was branded a 'Hell Hammer'. I was also surprised to see a booth from the woman who has been drawing all the Disney/Doctor Who crossovers. She didn't have much left by the time I got to her, but I did buy a badge with Jack Skellington looking at a TARDIS shaped door in a tree so I was rather happy with that.

And then there were the cosplayers. 





As well as a woman doing balloon flowers and swords dressed as Cinderella. Technically not a cosplayer, as she was there as part of an entertainment business, but I've never seen anyone doing balloon manipulation in costume before so it was still new to me!


Of course there were various jokey cosplayers too. I saw a man in full Gears of War style body armour that had been given a Hello Kitty paintjob, and there was a rather impressive Judge Dredd who... Was hanging around with a man dressed as a pony and only seemed to do photos where he was hugging said pony man. Needless to say, that put me off snapping a picture of him. However, if you want the absolute King of cosplayers, look no further than this guy!



Truly the best costume of the show, hands down! I mean, we never saw what kind of socks Snow White actually wore, but I can't help but imagine he's spot on!

There were some other cool things on display, including a Song of Ice and Fire art gallery that I pretty much stumbled into by mistake. It included promotional art from various merchandise, as well as original pieces like this charming ceramic plaque and a mock up of a weirwood  tree.


My absolute favourite thing about it though (aside from the people who had only watched the TV show uttering 'Urgh! Spoilers!' all the way around. That's what you get for not picking up a book!) was the mocked up action figures depicting characters in their death throes or at a time when they were doing very less than fantastically.



As you can see, they're gloriously graphic! But I think my favourite is Robb Stark. If only because of how surprised he looks. It's almost cute.


Oh, yeah, uh, spoilers... Or something.

The absolute star of the show was the Brick Nation exhibition though. It was a few tables dedicated to the Lego creations of, what I assume, was a local Lego builders club. There was an absolutely breathtaking display of Rivendell, which was a full recreation of the Elvish city with various set pieces from both the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies playing out within it.





Other highlights included a full Batcave and Joker's fairground, and a fairly insane Lego city that seemed to be the creators excuse to throw everything at the wall and see what stuck. There were also some rather impressive flat pieces and some rather interesting 3D models. 









And let's not forget the full size, remote controlled R2D2!



So, overall despite a rocky start I'd give my jaunt to ECCC two thumbs up. It wasn't too unwieldy once you got used to the size of it, and there was enough to see that we were there a good few hours and still missed one or two things that might've been of interest. I'd definitely go back, although perhaps next time I'd do some research and find out more about what's going on in advance. I've no desire to stand in really long lines for anything, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check what panels and events are going on around the area on the day. 

After all the excitement we were all far too exhausted to do much else, so I never really took in any of Seattle's other sights. But I did see one thing I never expected too...


That, my friends, is the Fremont Troll, a giant sculpture under a bridge in Fremont - A rather sketchy seeming area of Seattle that I can't say I was sorry to leave, even given my desire to see a statue of a troll that was bigger than the average bus. Traditionally people climb over it, sit on it, make scared faces under it, but during our visit there was a crazy drunken man in pyjama pants trying to strike up conversation with anyone who made eye contact. So needless to say, it soon turned into operation take a few pictures and get the hell out of there! 

A couple of days after that and it was time to go home. My experience travelling back wasn't really as eventful as my experience travelling there. I managed to travel by car, train, plane and bus all in one day - All I needed was for somebody to find an excuse for a boat ride at some point in my trip and I'd have been set! I also had the very disconcerting feeling of experiencing 10am three times in one day, thanks to Amsterdam. But I got home in one piece, although that sickness I mentioned above seems to have carried over back to the home country and I'm very much looking forward to being clear of it and a real human being again. 

It's hard to look back on it all in retrospect, partly because it's such a long time and also because I always feel an innate sadness when I have to come home from a long trip, and no other trip been as long or felt so much like an adventure as this one. I always find myself mulling on the mundanities and negatives of what I'm going back too and the good times and fantastic people I'm having to leave behind. It's as if from this moment on, every day from here on out locks what I've experienced further and further away in the past, until it's just so many memories and anecdotes. Perhaps that's the wrong way to look at things. Perhaps instead I should see today as the start of a countdown to an all new adventure, I don't know what it is yet, I don't know when it will be, but isn't that the fun of the future? You never know what it might hold. Or if it'll hold those very same people you thought you'd left behind.

 Yeah. I like that a whole lot better.

 So! Until the next adventure, whatever it may be, this is Aies very much out!

2 comments:

  1. Take a bow my good man!

    Lol, those Game of Thrones action figures :)

    Who are those armour suited cosplayers? I gather the one on the right is Mass Effect or the like? Nice gun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to be honest with you, I feel like I *should* know the more Samurai looking one but I can't think who he is. He seems very familiar though to the point it's been bugging me who he is. The other man is Commander Sheppard in full N7 armour though, the saddest thing about that is that the pose he chose actually covered up most of the cooler parts of his armour.

      Those Game of Thrones action figures are genius! Somebody needs to put them in mass production because I would buy every single morbid one of them!

      Delete