Tuesday 18 March 2014

Trans-Atlantica - Not so Weird Science.

Good morning and welcome to what will probably be the last post from Tornado country! Tomorrow I'll be hitting the road to Washington, leaving behind my chance to be swept away to Oz forever. Don't tell me it's impossible,I saw it in a movie and read it in a book so that makes it double true!

In a continuation of my tour of fine American dining (which has mostly consisted of fast food burger joints, not that there's a stereotype or anything!) we headed out to Spears, which I can only assume is a place where good food goes to die. I've had a less depressing experience eating in a retirement home, at least there the residents always seem cheerful and chatty! Here it was like they'd taken all that was bad about those places, the endless rows of mismatched knick-knacks, the funeral dirge covers of your grandparents favourite songs, the grotequse decor, and decided that was a great backdrop for serving food. I'm not altogether sure if I was imaging the old folk smell or if it was really there.

Naturally I could forgive all of this if the food and service was good, and to be fair the sandwich I had was decent! It's not what we went there for, granted (once upon a time they did a mean catfish, I'm told, which is now off the menu) but it was decent. The chips and lemonade left a lot to be desired however.As to service, I don't want to be too mean to another human being so I'll reserve any judgement on how perpetually confused the poor young fellow serving our table seemed, but the fact he asked us if everything was okay before we got our food then ignored us from there on out? That was more than a little bizarre.

After that we headed over to my friend's sister's house, and I got an education in cake making! By which I mean I sat around,watched and ate icing and cupcakes. The best kind of education there is! I watched her make a minion cake a few days ago, and my mind was kind of blown by the level of talent involved. This time around she was making Ninja Turtle and Hello Kitty cakes for my goddaughter's early birthday party later that day, and there may have been one other addition that she had nothing to do with but I'm sure you'll all agree is a masterpiece in it's own right.



Ahem.

The next day we went out and did some more honest to God tourist stuff. We visited the Exploration Place, which is a child friendly science centre situated next to the most gorgeous river side I've seen since I arrived stateside. It features a much larger sculpture of a figure you may just remember from last blog (no, not Elvis, although that would've been kind of awesome).



The centre itself was pretty enjoyable, especially considering that it was primarily aimed at children. My two year old goddaughter seemed hyper excited to be there, and especially loved the planes and musical instruments, so it seemed to do its job well enough! Even if it was aimed above her age group for the most part. And hey, at least there shouldn't be anything overly creepy in this one...


Oh. Well, at least there shouldn't be any of the dead animals that seem to have plagued this trip...



God damn it America, I give up with you.

One really cool exhibit they had was the miniature Kansas, which I think was supposed to represent everything that's idealised about the state in one model. It was really rather impressive and I could have spent hours looking at it, and the cutaway they had outside showing how the hydraulics worked for the moving parts was a fun addition too.



I guess now I've seen the entirety of Kansas in miniature I've experienced pretty much everything there is to experience here! Not to mention the hotel is coming apart at the seams.

Well that seems as good a sign as an to get the hell out of here and hit the road! I'll see you all in Washington!

No comments:

Post a Comment