Monday 10 March 2014

Trans-Atlantic - Alas, poor Colorado, we hardly knew ye.

As we reach the final day of our stay in Colorado and prepare for our road trip down to Kansas, the only thing I'm left wishing is that we'd seen more. It's been an experience, don't get me wrong, and I'll be sure to remember it for the insane weather and fantastic people I've met alone. But when I go somewhere I like to try and get a feel for what makes it special. I like to see tourist traps, I like to see areas of natural beauty (even if from afar), and I love museums and places of knowledge because sometimes how somewhere handles it's heritage and what it emphasises as important can say an awful lot.

With Colorado I can't help but feel I haven't really got that experience. A lot of our trip here seems to have been mainly roads and malls, with the highlight of the day before the wedding being the Bass Pro Store. A place that my friend describes as being like 'the inside made to look like the outside'. It's a taxidermists wet dream, basically an outdoor and camping store taken to such an excess that it's practically a tourist attraction. They even had an artifical waterfall which played host to fishing exhibitions.

They also had a rather agressively friendly man on the tills who demanded to know what accent that was through a painted on smile. Welcome to America?

We also headed to Top That, which is like Subway only for pizza. An intriguing, if highly unhealthy idea that would have been fantastic had they cooked their dough a little more throughly. It was only really until the day of the wedding (which again, I'm not going to dwell on, but pro-tip, if you're getting married - Do turn your phone off before you get to the altar) that we really saw some beautiful landscapes abd countryside, so I'm going to shut up and share some with you!

So that's almost it for Colorado, we may do something on the way out, maybe even hit that museum that I mentioned last time, but until then, see you in Kansas!

No comments:

Post a Comment